Thursday, January 31, 2008

RICARDO RESPONDS

Thanks to everyone that wrote in with questions for Ricardo. Here's what he had to say.


Matt said: What do you do outside of soccer?

Ricardo: “I take care of my family, spending time with my wife and son. I like to coach soccer. Right now I’m coaching at the local Boys & Girls Club in Houston.”

scottyb10 said: Ricardo, what exactly happened with the situation with Carlos. Was it a frustration thing or did he say something that pushed you?

Ricardo: “It was frustrating because Carlos is the type of guy that can get under you skin during the game. He had been coming at me all game, and on that particular play I retaliated. I don’t regret standing up for myself, but I do regret the way in which I reacted. I should have reacted in a more professional manner. The worst part is that taking those actions hurts your team. I have learned from it and put it all behind me. I’m anxious to get back on the field for Houston.”

Jonathan said: Rico, can you elaborate on the defensive vs. offensive responsibilities you have for the U.S. team? I'm particularly curious about how you strike the balance between getting forward and supporting the attack and also supporting the back line of defense. Do different CM's have different roles on the U.S. team? Looking forward to seeing you help us beat Mexico in Houston.

Ricardo: “I think with the national team that both central midfielders have pretty much the same role. When we play with two, both have to be on the same page, keeping their defensive shape so there is balance when one is in more of an attacking position. You have to be aware during the games so you can positioning syncs with the other 10 players on the field.”

Terrence said: This question pertains to the future, so it can be asked Feb. 6, 2008, after the game. How does it feel to beat Mexico again?

Ricardo: “Let’s hope there is another win! The USA-Mexico rivalry is a big one, and there is a lot at stake no matter what the game. When we play them, more times than not it is a pro-Mexican crowd, so you have to learn how to deal with that. I don’t let that bother me. The atmosphere in general adds to the intensity of the game. It would be great to play in front of the Houston fans as well.”

BobWeir said: Which league would you most like to play in if you were to leave the MLS this transfer window? After winning back-to-back titles have you given more thought to when you would prefer moving to another league?

Ricardo: “I have two more years left on my contract, and I am happy with my situation the Dynamo. Looking down the road, if I had the option to choose which league, I would say the English Premier League because I like the style of play there.”

Brice said: Where is your favorite place to eat in Houston?

Ricardo: “That’s a good question. We really like this Indian restaurant called Moksha. They have great Roti and Naan. I like spicy food.”

Gabe said: What CD do you have in the player right now?

Ricardo: “Ear Drum by Talib Kweli. His lyrics are tight.”

Who is your favorite teammate you have ever played with, for club or country, and why?

Ricardo: “I’ll say Dwayne DeRosario. He is the best player never to win the MLS MVP award. He is very talented, and he is my partner in the midfield.”

Rosie said: What is your favorite food?

Ricardo: “Roti and Curry Chicken.”

What are your favorite soccer teams? Leagues?

Ricardo: “Right now it is Arsenal. I like their style of play because they move the ball really well.”

cnelson said: Ricardo, it's nice to see you taking those long range shots. I don't see enough of that from the U.S., except maybe Convey and Heath Pearce when they play. That goal you got in the Copa, I think was around the 18, and it was pretty sweet. How'd that feel?

Ricardo: “It was unbelievable because it was my first goal with the national team and it tied the game. Unfortunately we wound up losing, but I am still thankful that I was able to get my first goal. Shooting from distance is something that I have been working on in the off season. Playing in my position, you only get so many chances around goal, so you have to take advantage of them. I think any opportunity you get to shoot, you should. You don’t shoot, you don’t score goals.”

Shannon said: Hey, I’m a senior at Steele High and I believe in March that the Dynamo are supposed to play a game at my high school along w/ D.C., Chivas, and Toronto. Will you be with the team, and will any other player at the camp right now? Really hope you are!

Ricardo: “I should be there, along with Eddie Robinson and Brad Davis. So make sure you wave! We’re looking forward to starting the year and defending our back-to-back titles. There have been a few changes in the off season, but the core of the team is still there and we are confident we can challenge for our third straight championship.”

4 comments:

Gabe said...

awesome! its really cool to see him answer my questions and it seemed like you asked nearly all of the ones people submitted. really big variety of questions with lots of good ones.

Brice.Ambrecht said...

ya, i agree. I really appreciate these opportunities you give the fans. It really adds to the passion I have for the USNT. This blog is one of the best things the site has done. Keep up the great work!

shannon said...

i'm buying my tickets for the pre-season tournament tomorrow! just to give you a heads up the field's very narrow, its hard for us sometimes trying to send balls down the line or crossing. i will def. wave, cant wait, everybodies excited!

mood said...

thanks to ricardo for his honesty re: ruiz. nice post, good questions.