Sunday, July 5, 2009

They Said It - Post Grenada

Read the full post-match quote sheet here.

Some highlights:

U.S. head coach BOB BRADLEY

On the young players who made an impact tonight and the team's mentality looking to the next game:
“The idea of playing for your country is such a special honor and when your team wins and you're part of a good effort, that's what you want. You want it in your debut and every time you step on the field for the national team. In that regard we had a good game and I think as a group we're mature enough to not get ahead of ourselves and understand there's some travel and Honduras will be waiting for us in D.C.”

U.S. midfielder and ussoccer.com Man of the Match ROBBIE ROGERS
On his goal:
“I felt like they weren’t following me when I made late runs through the midfield, so I just tried to change it up with my run. Logan played a great ball, and I read the offside trap. I was going to pass the ball, but I wound up doing an OK job of finishing it.”

On the chemistry of the team:
“I think what really helped was the January camp, when we came in and worked for two or three weeks to prepare for the Sweden game. We all put in a lot of work during the January camp, and when you're sweating and working for each other it's nice to come out here and play together and get a good result.”

U.S. midfielder STUART HOLDEN

On getting his first cap:
“There were the usual butterflies. I’ve been close a couple times to getting a cap, so tonight to get the start and also to score – it couldn’t have been any better for me. I’m excited that we won first of all, and obviously to contribute and get a goal was a great feeling.”

U.S. midfielder LOGAN PAUSE
On getting his first cap:
“I dreamed about this my whole life. I was excited to get out there, and obviously a little bit nervous which is normal. As soon as the game starts, you get right into it. I just wanted to be able to contribute.”

No comments: